Mod menu buttons don't fire scriptMenuResponse (RotU class menu) – /openscriptmenu works

Hi,

I’m trying to run the zombie mod Reign of the Undead (tested with RotU 1.15 and RotU 2.2.2) and I’m stuck at class selection. I’d appreciate any hint.

Setup:

  • Client: CoD4x client 1.21.8 (Windows, Steam CoD4)
  • Server: CoD4x dedicated server on Linux (LinuxGSM), fs_game mods/ReignoftheUndead, gametype surv
  • Same behaviour on a local listen server started with /devmap from the mod, so it’s not server-related
  • Vanilla server without mod works fine (team + class selection OK)

Symptom:

  • Team selection works (server log: menuresponse: team_marinesopfor allies)
  • In the class menu (changeclass_marines_mw) the buttons get highlighted on mouse over, but neither mouse click nor keyboard (arrows + Enter) triggers their action
  • The only response reaching the server is “back” when closing the menu
  • Same for the secondary class menu (changeclass2_marines_mw)
  • Other menus work (e.g. Options in the ESC menu)

What the menu should send (extracted from mod.ff):
changeclass_marines_mw items:
action: “play” “mouse_click” ; “scriptMenuResponse” “soldier” (likewise stealth, armored, engineer, scout, medic)
item conditions reference dvars allies_allow_soldier / _stealth / _armored / _engineer / _scout (medic has none)

What I already checked:

  • /openscriptmenu changeclass_marines_mw soldier works: the server receives it and I spawn. So the server-side script is fine, only the menu button action doesn’t fire.
  • allies_allow_soldier on the client: 1 (default 1)
  • cl_bypassMouseInput: 0
  • Medic (the button without dvar condition) doesn’t work either
  • With developer 1 the only message is a missing sound: “tried to play sound user_interface/ui_over_v1.wav from alias mouse_over but it was not successfully loaded”

Question:
Is there a known change in the CoD4x client that prevents menu item actions / scriptMenuResponse from old mod menus (compiled for 1.7) from executing? Any idea what else could disable these buttons client-side?

Thanks!

created with claude, any help appreciated
trying to set up an oldschool Rotu server bubt with cod4x