Possible Fix for FPS-Drops when moving Mouse

Since I experienced terrible Stuttering and Framedrops when moving the mouse, I tried to find a solution for this problem. I don’t remember having this issue a few years ago. Here are my changes/settings which fixed this issue:

1. Dropping down Mouse Polling rate to 250 Hz (I run the game at 250FPS).
  2. r_gpusync 0
  3. raw_input 1

I also have G-Sync enabled (have a 360Hz monitor). Dual Video Cards is enabled as well. Don’t know exactly which setting did it for me but the stuttering and frame drops are gone.

Whats your max packets and packet dup?

/cl_packetdup
/cl_maxpackets

Reducing your mouse polling rate is the solution.
I’ve had countless people come to me over the years with this issue and every time this is the fix.

It does not need to match your fps but if it is too high it does not work well in certain old games like cod4.

2 Likes

The weird thing is, that a few years back this was not an issue at all.
I could play with 1000 Hz Mouse Polling rate without performance drops or stuttering.

Reducing your mouse polling rate is the solution.

Please stop peddling that nonsense. It doesn’t work for everyone.
For instance; Razer mice don’t have 250hz. Try 500Hz will lock the game fps to 250 while moving the mouse, if you want to have movement with 333 that will mess it up. Try 125Hz and it gives me half a seizure while on a faster monitor.

The real solution is to change r_gpusync and use exclusive fullscreen, I explored this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHk072BpBiQ

a few years back this was not an issue at all.

Since a recent update of windows 10, windows has changed somewhere the way they make fullscreen optimizations, which is what leads to this problem in cod4.

Maybe some people have also enabled “enchance pointer precision” which should always be disabled if you play games