CoD4x linux help

how can i play cod4x on linux mint?

help

Mb - COD4x mod installation on Linux (Debian) - YouTube

Or, just buy it on Steam, and use proton, literally no hassle, just on windows.
Only downside, your screenshots has been taken by the server will be black, so you expect you gonna get banned from a majority of servers.

Much lower fps too. On Windows I get 200-400 fps, on any linux distro 30-120fps. And frame rate is not stable.

For me I did not have any FPS issues under linux. Worked just fine.

What gpu do you have?

RTX3070 now. But previously I had a GTX1080, with that also worked fine.

I made a bash script that installs cod4x for the steam version

1 Like

Share it if you don’t mind.

2 Likes

How exactly do I use this script, I tried running it (I did put it in the manual install folder but this is the result
Screenshot from 2022-08-27 12-30-04

did you copy the script exactly as shown? Can you verify that the directory “compatdata/7940/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Local” exists? it should be in your steamapps folder. Try running ps -p $$ in the terminal and send the output

I’ll try it later, I figured out where the files needed to go and just installed it manually, but I’ll try with Linux Mint machine. I think it could just be that I installed COD4 on another drive.

This worked for me, appreciate it!

Also for what it’s worth, my game seems to be running much less stable compared to when I was on Windows 11 (which is to be expected honestly).

Windows 11: 700-900 FPS
Linux: 250-380 FPS

My system:
Distro: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
GPU: MSI RTX 2060

Tyr with different version of wine/proton. I found older versions of proton works better. Haven’t tested with Proton 8 yet.

Any specific version you’d recommend personally? I was using Proton Experimental when I last played

I think I was testing proton 6, and it was more consistent than proton 7.

Will try it today and get back to you, testing on Proton Experimental, Proton 8, and Proton 7 seems to be about the same, performance wise from what I can tell.

Update: Different proton versions didn’t really make a noticeable difference in my testing, spent roughly an hour per version, using 4 separate versions of Proton (Experimental, 8, 7, and 6). If you have any additional tips or advice let me know! :slight_smile:

To be honest, if you have 250 stable FPS, no drops, that’s still perfectly fine, you really don’t need 900 FPS in COD. I can do my side testing if you want little later and see what happens.
I have a weaker CPU btw, and a stronger card (i7-10700, RTX3070), will see what happens.

I need at least 333 because I play CodJumper almost exclusively lol; Also weird issue, not sure if anyone else has noticed it, but I sometimes get like double inputs when shooting, or when switching FPS, doesn’t happen in any other application or game, not sure if this is common or a “me issue”.